Accountant – RWS Life Sciences
Life Sciences | San Francisco | United States | Full-Time
Under the limited supervision of the Finance Manager, the Accountant is a key member of the Finance team supporting all major areas within the Finance Department. The Accountant administers accounting functions related to accounts payable (AP) and accounts receivable (AR), and assists in updating, maintaining and reconciling the Balance Sheet and Income Statement (P&L) accounts related to AR and AP for all legal entities and business units of RWS Life Sciences. The role regularly interacts with clients, vendors, and consultants to review and respond to inquiries and resolve issues in a timely and effective manner. The Accountant actively participates in meetings to discuss open and emerging business issues, makes recommendations for improvements, and completes special projects as assigned.
• Reviews, updates, processes and administers accounts payable and accounts receivable functions of RWS Life Sciences , including the creation of invoices,, applying client payments, collections (tracking and follow-up of aged items), processing vendor payments, expense reports and inputting and maintaining data into the accounting system to ensure records are accurate and up-to-date.
• Researches, analyzes, reviews and resolves discrepancies and questions from clients or vendors regarding the accuracy of invoices, and other Finance related documents for the purpose of ensuring accuracy and implementing corrective measures.
• Communicates directly with vendors, consultants, translators, or others as needed and reconciles accounts.
• Assists in the month-end, quarter-end and annual closing of books according to the priorities set forth by the Finance Manager and the Finance Director.
• Participates in month-end closing activities including preparing schedules and reconciling assigned P&L and Balance Sheet accounts, for example AR and AP general ledger and sub-ledger reconciliation.
• Assists in preparation of audit requirements.
• Actively participates in meetings to discuss open and emerging business issues and makes recommendations for improvements.
• Completes special projects as assigned.
• Perform other related duties, as assigned, for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the accounting system.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
• Twelve months per year standard work schedule as needed to successfully meet individual and department goals and objectives, and meet employee and client needs, including a reasonable amount of additional hours as necessary.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Thorough understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
• Strong organizational skills in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
• Ability to prioritize and coordinate competing work demands, and maintain composure under pressure.
• Fluent communication skills of written and verbal English.
• Ability to report work orally and in writing as required.
• Ability to understand, apply and use personal computers and software applications (e.g. Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe Acrobat, Office 365/Skype, Dynamics 360/AURORA/other production software).
• A team player who can collaborate effectively with a diverse group of individuals.
• Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships.
• Ability to exercise discretion and independent judgment in relation to performance of work responsibilities, working with minimal supervision.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality of information regarding company financial and other information.
• Ability to resolve customer service and production issues in a professional and efficient manner.
• Quality focus and detail oriented
Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards
• Work in standard office building environments.
Any combination of education and experience providing the required skills and knowledge for successful performance would be qualifying. Typical qualifications would be equivalent to:
• Four-year college degree or equivalent in Accounting or Finance.
• One or more years demonstrated successful experience in Accounting.
• Successful customer service experience, generally a minimum of one year.
• Demonstrated expert level proficiency utilizing Microsoft Excel and strong proficiency with other Microsoft Office programs.
• Successful experience utilizing accounting software, minimum one year. NetSuite experience is strongly preferred
Please apply via our applicant tracking system.
U.S. FLSA Status: Exempt
Non-U.S. Status: Per Contract