Hartford | United States | Full-Time
Reporting to the Finance Manager, the Accountant is a key member of the Finance team supporting a variety of general tasks within the Finance Department. The Accountant in this role will focus on performing Accounts Payable (AP) and Accounts Receivable (AR) for all legal entities of the RWS Life Sciences division. The role regularly interacts with vendors and clients in response to inquiries and independently resolves issues in a timely and effective manner. The AP/AR Accountant will assist the Finance Manager in the daily banking transactions, month-end closing of financial reports, identify and implement process efficiencies, and complete special projects as needed.
- Manages full-cycle Accounts Payable processes, including setting-up new vendors, receiving, reviewing and coding vendor invoices, and preparing payments.
- Administers Accounts Receivable functions, including the creation of invoices, applying client payments, and analyzing, tracking and following up of aged items as part of collections processing.
- Researches, analyzes, and independently resolves discrepancies and questions from vendors or clients regarding the accuracy of invoices and other Accounting related documents for the purpose of ensuring accuracy and implementing corrective measures.
- Communicates directly with vendors, clients or others as needed to reconcile accounts.
- Assists in the month-end closing of books according to the priorities set forth by the Finance Manager.
- Maintains the Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable sub-ledger and its reconciliation to the trial balance.
- Assists in the preparation of audit requirements.
- Actively participates in meetings to discuss open and emerging business issues and makes recommendations for improvements.
- Completes special projects as assigned.
- Perform other related duties, as assigned, for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the accounting system.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
- Twelve months per year standard work schedule as needed to successfully meet individual and department goals and objectives, and meet employee and client needs, including a reasonable amount of additional hours as necessary.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Thorough understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
- Strong organizational skills in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Ability to prioritize and coordinate competing work demands, and maintain composure under pressure.
- Fluent communication skills of written and verbal English.
- Ability to report work orally and in writing as required.
- Ability to understand, apply and use personal computers and software applications (e.g. Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe Acrobat, Office 365/Skype, Dynamics 360/AURORA).
- A team player who can collaborate effectively with a diverse group of individuals.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships.
- Ability to exercise discretion and independent judgment in relation to performance of work responsibilities, working with minimal supervision.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of information regarding company financial and other information.
- Ability to resolve customer service and production issues in a professional and efficient manner.
- Quality focus and detail oriented
Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards
- Work in standard office building environments.
Any combination of education and experience providing the required skills and knowledge for successful performance would be qualifying. Typical qualifications would be equivalent to:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or equivalent.
- One or more years demonstrated successful experience in Accounting.
- Demonstrated expert level proficiency utilizing Microsoft Excel and strong proficiency with other Microsoft Office programs.
- Successful experience utilizing accounting software, minimum one year. NetSuite experience is strongly preferred.
- Successful customer service experience, generally a minimum of one year, preferred.
U.S. FLSA Status: Exempt
Please apply via our applicant tracking system.