Business Development Manager
Life Sciences | Tokyo | Japan | Full-Time
Under the general supervision of the Vice President of Global Sales, the Business Development Manager (BDM) is responsible for maintaining and growing existing client relationships and actively seeking, pursuing and growing new client relationships. The balance of focus between existing and new accounts and will be reviewed and adjusted based upon the needs and the strategic direction of the department and company, and take into consideration the desired focus of the BDM. The position serves as an integral part of a team focusing on achieving enterprise Client success through innovation and high-quality service delivery.
- Develop a thorough understanding of RWS Life Sciences goals, services, clients, and processes.
- Manage customer business relationships with targeted existing accounts and also develop new strategic Client accounts in order to maximize Client revenue, growth and overall satisfaction.
- Carry an agreed-upon quota for both existing Client accounts and new Client accounts.
- Own personal revenue and profit margin targets, and understand and track forecast and pipeline on a daily basis.
- Proactively interact with Client contacts and key decision-makers at all levels in the enterprise to closely monitor and assess overall service delivery, identify new business opportunities, and maximize RWS Life Sciences “wallet share” including bid preparation and follow-up, bid approval, and positioning to ensure overall Client success.
- Evaluate the profitability and service consumption of accounts by meeting regularly with project teams to discuss issues, challenges, and opportunities, and to measure past business performance and provide accurate forecasted performance.
- Ensure the retention, growth and ongoing satisfaction of assigned accounts by understanding Clients’ ongoing, changing, and unexpected needs.
- Participate in competitive bidding events (e.g., RFPs) to support sales activities and the preparation of responses.
- Prepare and present new services and solutions to Clients within the scope of growth strategies.
- Schedules client visits on a regular basis for the purpose of developing new relationships and expanding the Company’s client base, as well as retaining existing clients and business.
- Plan and conduct quarterly business reviews with key accounts and lead all Client interactions, including on-site visits.
- Ensure timely payment of assigned Client account invoices.
- Ensure a successful transition of a closed opportunity resulting from sales activities to production operations, and to act as a liaison and advocate for production operations during any new client onboarding process.
- Attends industry trade shows as requested to enhance knowledge of the industry, keep current on trends, and garner business.
- Engages in research for the purpose of expanding personal and Company knowledge of industry trends, best practices, marketing and sales, etc.
- Performs other related duties, as assigned, for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the Department or other Company goals and objectives.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
- Uses standard office equipment such as personal computer, scanner, copy machine, fax machine, telephone/headset.
- Twelve months per year, standard work schedule as needed to successfully meet individual and department goals and objectives, and meet employee and client needs, including a reasonable amount of overtime as necessary.
- Approximately 20% on the road/overnight travel per year.
- A baseline of monthly/quarterly/annual revenue per assigned account, manifested as a quota and territory plan, will be established and each BDM will be measured on his/her ability to maintain and grow each account over the established baseline.
- Monthly (minimum) reviews and account planning will be completed with consistent measurement to established plans.
- Regularly schedule customer satisfaction analysis and scoring.
Knowledge, skills and abilities
- Knowledge of all company customer service, Linguistic Validation, project management, graphic layout, and production control procedures.
- Entrepreneurial mindset with demonstrated examples of innovative thinking and creative problem-solving.
- Excellent analytical, presentation, and organizational skills.
- Knowledge of English grammar, syntax, and word usage, and excellent proofreading skills.
- Organizational and time management skills.
- Excellent customer service skills, including ability to communicate clearly with clients and resolve customer issues or complaints.
- Ability to report work orally or in writing as required.
- Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written or oral form, with attention to detail, and to work with minimum supervision.
- Ability to understand, apply and use personal computers and software applications (e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Acrobat, Office 365/Skype, etc.).
- Ability to work with a diverse group of individuals.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of information regarding company financial and other information.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others contacted in the course of work; teamwork and consensus-building skills.
- Ability to resolve customer service issues in a professional and efficient manner.
Physical and mental demands, work hazards
- Works in standard office building environments.
See the Summary of Physical, Sensory and Environmental Requirements Needed to Perform Essential Job Duties for this position.
Any combination of education and experience providing the required skill and knowledge for successful performance would be qualifying. Typical qualifications would be equivalent to:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Language, or other related field.
- Successful outside sales experience within translation/localization or pharmaceutical/life science industries; minimum two years’ experience preferred.
- Demonstrated success in consistently achieving sales quota assignment and customer satisfaction goals.
- Demonstrated successful development and implementation of complex enterprise account strategies.
- Demonstrated excellent client relations, interpersonal and communication skills.
Please apply via our applicant tracking system.
U.S. FLSA status: Exempt
U.K. status: Per Contract
Equal opportunity employer
Date: October 1, 2017