Desktop Publisher- East Hartford, CT and San Francisco, CA
Life Sciences | East Hartford | United States | Full-Time
Under the general supervision of a Desktop Publisher Supervisor, the Desktop Publisher is a key member of the Technical Services team. The Desktop Publisher works with the Technical Services Manager, other Desktop Publishers, Quality Assurance, and Project Managers to deliver desktop publishing services for client deliverables.
Working in a variety of languages and with documents of varying complexity, scope, and technology requirements, the Desktop Publisher’s primary responsibility is to evaluate project materials and instructions, assess most efficient and cost-effective DTP service processes to be used, and implement these processes with primarily outsourced and at times in-house resources. The Desktop Publisher must ensure the appropriate level of cost, quality and timeliness is met as detailed by the Project Manager’s and client’s specifications.
The role will allocate the required project resources, will assist in ensuring the quality and timeliness of the deliveries, and will assist in preparing regular reports to the internal team on the status of the projects. The Desktop Publisher will provide feedback to the vendor management team on the performance of vendors, and will contact, and work with vendors directly to solve any issues when required.
The Desktop Publisher may have direct communication with clients regarding projects and processes and will delegate and reassign work to other Desktop Publishers. The position will support sales on new solutions for new clients, or process improvements for ongoing clients, will provide coaching to other team members on different tools and workflows, and will participate in the creation and implementation of desktop publishing team strategies.
The Desktop Publisher may monitor desktop publishing trends and technologies may provide training to vendors and may work with linguists and the quality assurance team on queries. The Desktop Publisher may monitor and mitigate project risks, and support project managers and other team members in the planning or update of a project and the overall cost associated with it. The Desktop Publisher may assist in the creation, update, and revision of work instructions and SOPs.
- Evaluates DTP task requirements and suggests best resources to accommodate task time and budget requirements.
- Outsources DTP project tasks whenever possible and by choosing appropriate approved vendors.
- Performs in-house DTP tasks within basic document formats and at varying levels of complexity. May perform in-house DTP tasks within advanced document formats and at varying levels of complexity.
- Manages outsourced DTP tasks and vendors through communication and periodic checks to insure adherence to agreed terms, conditions and expected levels of quality.
- Ensures quality and timeliness of DTP vendor deliveries through appropriate planning, communication and follow up.
- Reviews, analyzes and provides feedback related to internal and outsourced DTP work through sampling of deliverables to insure expected levels of quality are met and delivered prior to task completion and hand-off.
- Prioritizes personal and vendor workload and communicates over or under scheduling to Technical Services Manager and DTP team.
- Occasionally completes project risk analysis and defines mitigation actions of the risks identified.
- Occasionally creates project plans and schedules based on client-specific requirements including applying appropriate contingencies in planning and resourcing.
- May organize, assign, measure and monitor the work of internal and external DTP resources according to project plan and ensures compliance with standards, practices and policies.
- Assist in the creation and implementation of Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Occasionally organizes and leads meetings, records and distributes meeting minutes and monitors delivery of agreed action items.
- May participate in the review and discussion of client feedback to support investigations and response generation.
- May communicate directly to clients about project questions/concerns related to DTP services.
- May perform research related to queries made by Linguists and Quality Assurance.
- Work closely with Project Managers, Vendors and DTP team to accomplish project tasks.
- Evaluate vendor performance including quality, delivery and technical capability.
- Alert all stakeholders of task problems to include incorrect scoping, vendor delays and scheduling inconsistencies and recommend corrective course of action.
- Ensure that vendors and Project Managers have necessary information to successfully complete tasks within timelines, budgets and levels of quality or are made aware of problem for corrective actions to be implemented.
- Utilizes electronic performance monitoring system to provide feedback to Vendor Relations team regarding external resource performance.
- May provide training to DTP vendors.
- May monitor DTP industry and client trends.
- Participate in allocation of workloads across team members for maximum capacity utilization.
- Recommend to Desktop Publisher Supervisor process and procedure changes to improve efficiency, quality and cost effectiveness.
- Provide and record direct constructive feedback in a timely manner to Project Managers, and QA leads, other Desktop Publishers, and vendors to improve efficiency, effectiveness and cost.
- Assists in the review and update of SOP to ensure process specific information is recorded and shared by the DTP team.
- Occasionally coordinates and may lead the implementation of process changes.
- Performs other related duties, as assigned, for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective completion and shipment of projects.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
- Uses standard office equipment such as personal computer, scanner, copier, fax machine, telephone/headset.
- Twelve months per year standard work schedule as needed to successfully meet individual and department goals and objectives, and meet employee and client needs, including a reasonable number of additional hours as necessary.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong organizational skills in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Ability to prioritize and coordinate competing work demands and maintain composure under pressure.
- Fluent communication skills of written and verbal English.
- Ability to report work orally and in writing as required.
- Ability to understand, apply and use personal computers and software applications (e.g. Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Adobe Acrobat, CRM/AURORA/other production software, CAT Tools, Office 365/Skype).
- A team player who can collaborate effectively with a diverse group of individuals.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of information regarding company financial and other information.
- Ability to resolve customer service and production issues in a professional and efficient manner.
- Quality focus and detail oriented.
Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards
- Works in standard office building environments.
- See the Summary of Physical, Sensory and Environmental Requirements Needed to Perform Essential Job Duties for this position.
Any combination of education and experience providing the required skills and knowledge for successful performance would be qualifying. Typical qualifications would be equivalent to:
- Two-year Associate degree or equivalent technical certification in related field.
- Demonstrated advanced skills and successful experience with desktop publishing applications including Microsoft Word, Adobe InDesign, Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Frame Maker, minimum two years.
Successful customer service/account management experience, generally a minimum of two years.
- DTP experience within the localization or translation industry, minimum of one year preferred.
- Experience with DTP outsourcing traffic control, scheduling and budgeting, minimum of one year preferred.
- Experience with translation memory (TM) and localization tools (CAT), minimum of one year preferred.
- Demonstrated successful experience with DITA-oriented tools and publishing workflows, such as Arbortext, DITA-OT, Oxygen, Eclipse, preferred.
- Demonstrated successful experience with help systems such as Flare and RoboHelp, preferred.
- Knowledge of XML preferred.
- Verbal and written fluency in at least one foreign language a plus.
Please apply via our applicant tracking system.
U.S. FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Non U.S. Status: Per Contract