Life Sciences | East Hartford | United States | Full-Time
Under the general supervision of the Director or Vice President of Business Technology, the Helpdesk Technician provides technical assistance and support to end users of the RWS Life Sciences computer network systems to resolve basic computer software and hardware issues; and assists in maintaining the proper functioning of the computer network systems.
The Helpdesk Technician is responsible for the setup, update and troubleshooting of RWS Life Sciences hardware and software systems including communication systems (telephone, printing, faxing and scanning). The Helpdesk Technician monitors and responds to helpdesk tickets and completes tasks to targets. The role maintains Asset Management and software inventory system, and Active Directory and user groups. The Helpdesk Technician performs timely setup and removal of users, provides training to users on IT systems and protocols, and ensures security settings are adhered to within systems. The Help Desk Technician will liaise with other divisions of RWS, and external IT partners (when authorized), and may complete special projects as needed
Internal User Support
- Provide timely and effective technical assistance and support for incoming queries and issues related to computer systems, software, and hardware.
- Respond quickly and proactively to ensure service expectations are met and document accordingly.
- Effectively respond to queries verbally or in writing using a variety of communication tools.
- Identify common issues and create training manuals and material to allow users to self-help issue resolution and preempt future requests.
- Provides one-on-one and group training sessions as needed.
Equipment and network directory
- Maintain Active Directory through timely addition and removal of users as needed, and setting up new groups.
- Maintain telephone system and deploy company directories.
- Maintain printing, faxing and scanning systems including issue resolution and ordering supplies.
- Ensure security settings are adhered to within systems.
- Maintain change management documentation for systems.
- Set up and maintain user systems based upon various department and process needs and requirements.
- Monitor and deploy hardware and software patches as required.
- Ensure that all desktops have up to date anti-virus and security software and audit as required.
- Ensure that all software licensing is correct and current.
- Ensure that inventory systems are current and correct, all changes are logged in the system.
Procurement and Asset Management
- Monitor for and propose desktop replacements and ensure that employee productivity is not affected by failing hardware or software.
- Ensure that all assets are labelled and tracked.
- Monitor and maintain lists of End of Life (EOL) assets and propose timely replacement.
- Advise manager of need to order additional systems for new hires.
Collaboration and continuous improvement
- Coordinate with other RWS IT groups to escalate, handoff or assign tickets and follows up to ensure completion.
- Escalate issues to external IT partners (where authorized) for local offices and monitor open tickets assigned to partners.
- Ensure collaboration on issues and timely follow up.
- Stay current with technological trends and make recommendations for improvements as needed.
Performs other related duties, as assigned, for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the Business Technology Department or other company goals and objectives.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
- Uses standard office equipment such as personal computer, scanner, copier, fax machine, telephone/headset.
- Twelve months per year standard work schedule as needed to successfully meet individual and department goals and objectives, and meet employee and client needs, including a reasonable amount of additional hours as necessary.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong organizational skills in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Ability to prioritize and coordinate competing work demands, and maintain composure under pressure.
- Fluent communication skills of written and verbal English
- Ability to report work orally and in writing as required.
- Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written or oral form,
- Ability to understand, apply and use personal computers and software applications (e.g. Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe Acrobat, CAT Tools, Office 365/Skype, CRM/AURORA/other production software).
- A team player who can collaborate effectively with a diverse group of individuals.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of information regarding company financial and other information.
- Ability to resolve customer service and production issues in a professional and efficient manner.
- Ability to be proactive to anticipate emerging issues and take initiative.
- Quality focus and detail oriented
Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards
- Works in standard office building environments.
See the Summary of Physical, Sensory and Environmental Requirements Needed to Perform Essential Job Duties for this position.
Any combination of education and experience providing the required skills and knowledge for successful performance would be qualifying. Typical qualifications would be equivalent to:
- Four year college/university degree in computer science or related field required.
- One or more years demonstrated successful experience in a help desk or systems engineer role.
- Experience working in organization with fifty or more users preferred.
- General knowledge of current PC and MAC hardware and software.
- Knowledge of sound practices in network troubleshooting.
- Excellent technical investigative and troubleshooting skills. Related certification preferred,
Please apply via our applicant tracking system.
U.S. FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
U.K. Status: Per Contract