Life Sciences | Xi'an | China | Full-Time
Under the general supervision of the Senior Project Manager, the Lead Linguist is a key member of a project team serving as the subject matter expert for their language combination working proactively with the Project Management team to address linguistic quality processes. The position evaluates client feedback to support investigations and responses as well as makes recommendations to improve processes. The Lead Linguist will have direct communication with clients and other linguists, and updates and maintains key client reference materials including glossaries, terminology and style guides. The role will provide feedback related to linguist performance and participate in client meetings as needed.
- Act as the subject matter expert for his/her language combination. All linguistic queries will be sent to the Lead Linguist for review and recommendation during the translation phases. The Lead Linguist will be responsible for either making terminology recommendations, or approving linguistic queries to be sent to the client for approval.
- Work proactively with the Project Management team to address inherent issues with linguistic quality processes, to define better task instructions and to improve resource selection on various subject matter requests. The Lead Linguist will provide feedback and recommendations to the Project Management team based on quality evaluations and feedback on projects.
- Evaluate all client feedback to support investigations and responses. This will involve reviewing client updates and assessing the issues, their severity and importance in order to provide feedback to the client. The Lead Linguist will also make recommendations on how to improve for the future and suggest actions that can be taken. The results of the investigation of the client feedback will result in the next required task.
- Update our client specific reference materials: including but not limited to our Glossary (i.e. adding/updating the term base with client preferential terminology and standard subject matter terminology) and the Style Guide.
- Additions to the Glossary based on Client Feedback
- Additions to the Glossary based on vendor suggestions
- The Lead Linguist is responsible for maintaining and updating the terminology and style guides that are used as reference material by all linguists for their language pair to ensure the best reference material is available at all times for consistency and alignment with client preferred styles and terminology.
- Support Quality Specialist to effectively communicate the client feedback to the translation team and LPR reviewers.
- As requested, the Lead Linguist will be asked to perform evaluations of vendors working on our projects to evaluate their suitability for account work.
- As needed or request, the Lead Linguist will be tasked to provide training and support to linguistic teams working on the account, as required by the client and/or Project Management team
- As needed, the Lead Linguist will be asked to participate on conference calls with Project Managers to ensure gains better insight on client requirements and can properly provide the instructions to other members of our Preferred Vendors list.
- The Lead Linguist will also have direct communication with clients, to help better understand their needs and requirements to ensure translations are aligning with expectations.
- Performs other related duties, as assigned, for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective completion and shipment of projects.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
- Uses standard office equipment such as personal computer, scanner, copier, fax machine, telephone/headset.
- Twelve months per year standard work schedule as needed to successfully meet individual and department goals and objectives, and meet employee and client needs, including a reasonable amount of additional hours as necessary.
Knowledge, skills and abilities
- Strong organizational skills in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Ability to prioritize and coordinate competing work demands, and maintain composure under pressure.
- Fluent communication skills of written and verbal English
- Ability to report work orally and in writing as required.
- Ability to understand, apply and use personal computers and software applications (e.g. Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe Acrobat, CAT Tools, Office 365/Skype, CRM/AURORA/other production software).
- A team player who can collaborate effectively with a diverse group of individuals.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships.
- Ability to exercise discretion and independent judgment in relation to performance of work responsibilities, working with minimal supervision.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of information regarding company financial and other information.
- Ability to resolve customer service and production issues in a professional and efficient manner.
- Quality focus and detail oriented
Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards
Works in standard office building environments.
See the Summary of Physical, Sensory and Environmental Requirements Needed to Perform Essential Job Duties for this position.
Any combination of education and experience providing the required skills and knowledge for successful performance would be qualifying. Typical qualifications would be equivalent to:
- Four-year college degree or equivalent in Business, English, Foreign Language, Social or Applied Science, or other related field.
- Minimum two years demonstrated extensive knowledge of at least two different languages including verbal and written fluency.
- Five or more years of experience as a Linguist or translator; preferably in the Life Science space.
- Successful customer service/account management experience, generally a minimum of two years.
- Computing skills, including experience with TRADOS or other translation management tools (CAT, or Computer Aided Translation tools) and publishing applications (e.g., FrameMaker, InDesign, etc.).
Please apply via our applicant tracking system.
Equal Opportunity Employer