Life Sciences | Hartford | United States | Full-Time
Under the supervision of a Senior Localization Engineer, Principal Localization Engineer or Technical Services Manager, the Localization Engineer is a key member of the Technical Services team. The Localization Engineer works with the Technical Services Manager, other Engineers, Quality Assurance, and Project Managers to provide engineering services for client deliverables.
Working in a variety of languages, the Localization Engineer’s primary responsibility is to evaluate project materials and instructions, assess most efficient and cost-effective engineering workflows to be used, and implement these workflows with primarily in-house and, at times, outsourced resources. The Localization Engineer must ensure the appropriate level of cost, quality and timeliness is met as detailed by the Project Manager’s and client’s specifications.
The role will coordinate and may complete all phases of assigned translation projects, including pre-processing and post-processing of files, file tracking and management, using standard localization and version control tools. It will provide engineering support, analyze project requirements, prepare project engineering budgets, allocate the required project resources, and will monitor and report the status of the projects to the internal team.
The Localization Engineer will perform root cause analysis, identifying the source of the problem and setting corrective and preventive actions, and will suggest, coordinate, record and implement process improvements. The role will provide feedback to the vendor management team on the performance of vendors, and will contact, train, and work with vendors directly to assist in resolving performance issues. The Localization Engineer will monitor localization trends and technologies; will work with linguists and the quality assurance team on queries; and will monitor and mitigate project risks. The Localization Engineer will create, update, and revise work instructions and SOPs.
In addition, the Localization Engineer may have direct communication with clients regarding projects and processes; will delegate and reassign work to other Engineers; will support sales on new solutions for new clients, or process improvements for ongoing clients; and may provide training to other Engineers and production teams on localization tools and workflows.
- Evaluate and analyze Engineering task requirements and suggest best resources to accommodate task time and budget.
- Provide proactive technical input to promote application of best-practices, efficiency, and quality risk reduction measures.
- Evaluates, analyzes and prepares project engineering budget.
- Evaluate and select appropriate approved vendors for out-sourcing of Engineering tasks, and manage the status of those tasks through communication and periodic checks to insure adherence to agreed terms, conditions and expected levels of quality.
- Generate status updates and communicate status to others during the course of the project. Inform vendors of changes to project scope, timeline or other requirements.
- Prepare files for translation utilizing appropriate CAT tools.
- Post-process and integrate localized files into final projects as per Project Manager’s and client’s specifications.
- Review and evaluate internal and outsourced Engineering work through sampling of deliverables regarding expected levels of quality to be generated and delivered prior to task completion and hand-off.
- Provide timely feedback to Vendor Relations on external resource performance.
- Contact vendors directly regarding their performance. Provide training and guidance as needed to assist in addressing areas of performance concern.
- Prioritize personal and vendor workload and communicate over or under scheduling to Technical Services Manager and DTP/Engineering team.
- Evaluate the work loads of others, and assign or reassign projects or tasks accordingly.
- Troubleshoot and resolve in-process project-related issues.
- Perform research related to queries made by Linguists, Quality Assurance or others involved in the project.
- Collaborate with Production, Development, and IT teams to create and implement cost
- savings, risk reduction, and efficiency-based solutions.
- Collaborate with Sales on RFPs, on-boarding, troubleshooting and research of proposed tools.
- Collaborate in the CAPA process with cross-functional teams.
- Perform root cause analysis and suggest, coordinate, record and implement process improvements.
- Monitor localization trends and suggest, create, develop, and implement process changes as appropriate and approved by management.
- Create, update, revise and assist in the implementation of Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Occasionally complete project risk analysis and define mitigation actions of the risks identified.
- Occasionally create project plans and schedules based on client-specific requirements including applying appropriate contingencies in planning and resourcing.
- Occasionally organize and lead meetings, record and distribute meeting minutes and monitor delivery of agreed action items.
- May communicate directly to clients about project questions/concerns related to Engineering services.
- May provide training to others.
- Performs other related duties, as assigned, for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective completion and shipment of projects.
- Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
- Uses standard office equipment such as personal computer, scanner, copier, fax machine, telephone/headset.
- Twelve months per year standard work schedule as needed to successfully meet individual and department goals and objectives, and meet employee and client needs, including a reasonable amount of additional hours as necessary.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong organizational skills in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Ability to prioritize and coordinate competing work demands and maintain composure under pressure.
- Fluent communication skills of written and verbal English.
- Ability to report work orally and in writing as required.
- Ability to understand, apply and use personal computers and software applications (e.g. Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Adobe Acrobat, CRM/AURORA/other production software, CAT Tools, Office 365/Skype).
- A team player who can collaborate effectively with a diverse group of individuals.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships.
- Ability to exercise discretion and independent judgment in relation to performance of work responsibilities, working with minimal supervision.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of information regarding company financial and other information.
- Ability to resolve customer service and production issues in a professional and efficient manner.
- Quality focus and detail oriented.
Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards
- Works in standard office building environments.
- See the Summary of Physical, Sensory and Environmental Requirements Needed to Perform Essential Job Duties for this position.
- Any combination of education and experience providing the required skills and knowledge for successful performance would be qualifying. Typical qualifications would be equivalent to:
- Two-year Associate degree or equivalent technical certification in related field.
- Minimum of two years of Localization Engineering experience and understanding of character sets and text encoding required.
- Minimum of two years of CAT tool experience required. Specific experience with SDL Trados Studio preferred.
- Comprehensive knowledge of standard office software (Microsoft Office)
- Advanced knowledge of HTML / XML formats.
- Basic to intermediate programming skills (C/C++, Visual Basic, etc.).
- Basics to intermediate scripting (Windows Scripting Host (js, vbs), Perl, Phyton, RegEx).
- Machine translation experience preferred.
- Experience with DITA-oriented tools and publishing workflows, such as Arbortext, DITA-OT, Oxygen, Eclipse, preferred.
- Experience with help systems, such as Flare and RoboHelp, preferred.
- Experience with eLearning workflows and tools preferred.
- Experience with multimedia workflows preferred, i.e. subtitling, dubbing.
- Verbal and written fluency in at least one foreign language a plus.
- Experience with automated QA tools such as Verifika, QA Distiller and Xbench a plus.
- Experience with issue tracking tools such as JIRA a plus.
- Experience with CMS, LMS, WordPress a plus.
Please apply via our applicant tracking system.