LV Principal Senior Localization Engineer
Life Sciences | Broomfield, USA | Full-time
Under the direction of the Senior Director of Linguistic Validation Operations, the Linguistic Validation Principal Senior Localization Engineer develops and deploys technology-based solutions to improve production efficiency while maintaining quality and low cost. The position provides technology leadership in the LV Technical Services Team and process and technology-related guidance to translation project teams, with responsibility to identify areas for further improvement, implements cost-savings plans, and design and prototype production automation solutions. Additionally the Principal Senior Localization Engineer updates training documentation and may provide training in conjunction with the assigned Department Trainer.
- Understands and adheres to company Quality Management System (QMS) requirements
- Guides all technical phases of LV translation projects including pre-processing and post- processing of files, and file tracking and management
- Provides engineering support to LV departments by analyzing files, project requirements, recommending production processes and preparing engineering-DTP project budgets
- Assures correct file management and file versioning
- Prepares files for translation using standard and custom localization tools
- Defines and prepares tools, processes and files for legacy translation migration, globalization and localization
- Tracks work across the LV Technical Services Team for adherence to general and project-specific instructions
- Provides training and technical support to vendors, translation teams, and the LV Technical Services Team
- Provides technical expertise for translation projects, troubleshooting requests, and quality investigations.
- Creates and implements strategies for utilization of automation technology and CAT tools to increase production efficiency and quality of deliverables
- Participates in the baselining of legacy processes and measuring new tools and processes for effectiveness
- Act as the technical lead on complex projects and technical advisor for other team member projects
- Provide proactive technical input to promote application of best-practices, efficiency, and quality risk reduction measures
- Direct LV Technical Services and outsources service providers in completing their production tasks efficiently and accurately
- Complete engineering steps for assigned translation projects
- Maintains accurate and up-to-date client files, databases, archives, or records as needed
- Troubleshoot in-process project-related issues for the team
- Identify and mitigate long term risks arising from translation projects
- Monitor and report on bottlenecks, time loss and technical challenges
- Collaborate with LV Management, Production, Development, and IT teams to create and implement cost savings, risk reduction, and efficiency-based solutions
- Composes or generates a variety of materials (e.g. work instructions, job aids, reports, memos, letters, manuals, etc.) for the purpose of documenting activities, providing written reference and/or conveying information regarding the status of projects, etc.
- May compose customer-facing correspondence or participate in customer meetings relating to technical project issues
- Performs other related duties, as assigned, for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective completion and shipment of projects across the LV Technical Services Department.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
- Uses standard office equipment such as personal computer, tablet, scanner, copy machine, and telephone/headset.
- Twelve months per year standard work schedule as needed to successfully meet individual and department goals and objectives, employee and client needs, including a reasonable amount of overtime as necessary.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong organizational and time management skills in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Fluent communication skills of written and verbal English
- Ability to present information effectively, clearly, and concisely both orally and in writing.
- Ability to make decision and lead employees through problems on job-related issues.
- Ability to provide guidance to employees in a respectful manner.
- Ability to carry our instructions furnished in written or oral form.
- Ability to work with a diverse group of individuals.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of information regarding financial and other privileged data.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others contacted in the course of work.
- A team player who can collaborate effectively
- Intimate knowledge of the localization industry and its technical aspects
- Teamwork and consensus-building skills
- Excellent customer service skills, including ability to communicate clearly and resolve issues or complaints.
- Ability to effectively complete root cause analysis.
- Ability to work with little supervision to perform work in a complete, accurate, and timely manner
Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards
- Works in standard office building environments.
See the Summary of Physical, Sensory and Environmental Requirements Needed to Perform Essential Job Duties for this position.
Any combination of education and experience providing the required skills and knowledge for successful performance would be qualifying. Typical qualifications would be equivalent to:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent technical education, preferably in Computer Science
- Written knowledge of a second language and familiarity with other languages and writing systems
- Three to five years demonstrated successful experience leading project teams
- Five years Localization Engineering experience required
- Advanced knowledge of SDL Trados Studio including custom parser development, automation and troubleshooting
- Advanced knowledge of Unicode and legacy encodings and how they relate to application file formats and localization automation
- Advanced knowledge of HTML / XML format syntax, parsing and best localization practice
- Demonstrable experience designing and deploying technical QA processes for localization
- Advanced knowledge of Windows and Mac operating systems with regard to management of Language/Locale management, related character encoding and localization automation support
- Intermediate to Advanced programming skills (C/C++, Visual Basic, Python, etc.)
- Intermediate to Advanced scripting (Windows Scripting Host (js, vbs), Perl, RegEx)
- Experience with application automation using VBA or ActionScript
- Deep expertise with Regular Expressions with regard to content parsing and localization automation
- Significant first-hand experience working with commercial production efficiency tools (Beyond Compare, Search & Replace, etc.)
- Comprehensive knowledge of standard office software (Microsoft Office)
- Demonstrable experience working with common DTP file types (InDesign, FrameMaker) in CAT tools and localization automation workflows
- Experience in localization of mobile platform applications
- 3 to 5 years’ experience in localization testing, including authoring test scripts, bug tracking and the incorporation of functional testing
- Experience with automated QA tools such as Verifika, QA Distiller and Xbench a plus
- Experience with eLearning platforms, Flare, DITA, RoboHelp a plus
Please apply via our applicant tracking system.
U.S. FLSA Status: Exempt
U.K. Status: Per Contract