Quality Assurance Specialist
Life Sciences | Nottingham | England | Full-Time
Under the direction of the Quality Assurance Analyst, Senior Project Manager, Program Manager or Director, the Quality Assurance Specialist (QA Specialist) is a key member of the project team working directly with Vendor Relations, Technical Services and Project Managers and Coordinators to ensure the quality of translated and published deliverables.
The QA Specialist is the owner of key resource materials (Glossary, Style Guide, Instructions, and automated QA settings) and enabling assets, and is responsible for evaluating, analyzing and identifying the appropriate quality approach, comparing, and weighing potential risks affecting the quality of the translated deliverables, and recommending and implementing measures to mitigate the risks.
The QA Specialist coordinates internal and external proofreading and performs initial format proofing of translated documentation to meet client requirements for accuracy, formatting and delivery timelines, and to facilitate adherence to project budgets in the area of Quality Assurance. The role may provide support to Program Manager or project team including limited direct client contact for issues or response related quality, status or delivery.
- Perform first level of review of quotes and project plans, by comparing applicable options and providing proactive input regarding the appropriate approach to achieving required quality for the specific client/project. May provide approval for quote as required per applicable process.
- Identify and communicate risks as appropriate to eliminate potential pitfalls or obstacles.
- Compare various factors to ensure strict adherence to ISO requirements, deadlines, budgets and the completion of high-quality deliverables for the QA steps in the process.
- Suggest, interpret and implement operating procedures to achieve objectives.
- Formulate, interpret and implement QA process best practices and serve as a Quality advocate in production processes.
- Evaluate project materials and ensure the appropriate level of consistency/accuracy of formatting, stylistic consistency across languages, and adherence to client specifications and style guides.
- Review, update and maintain appropriate versioning of project materials.
- Perform initial format proofing of translated documentation prior to final proofing and delivery.
- Participate in internal post mortems to help improve processes and reduce risk.
- Ensure the receipt of purchase orders, approve invoices and escalate payment issues where necessary.
- Collaborate in the CAPA process with cross-functional teams.
- Assist, implement and investigate client feedback handling and complete resolution reports needed for client deliverables. Accountable for implementation of feedback report tracking, investigations, analyses, and actions.
- May provide support to Program Manager or project team including limited direct client contact for issues or response related to quality, status or delivery.
- Work closely with QA Analysts and Vendor Relations on proofreading resource needs and planning.
- Support QA Analysts in the areas of training, guidance, and real time feedback to proofreading resources to ensure a well-developed and well qualified pool of resources.
- Coordinates internal and external proofreading to support quality assurance activities.
- Create and send POs to external proofreading resources.
- Ensure project proofreading resources have the necessary tools and information to accomplish tasks.
- Alert proofreading resources of schedule and scope changes.
- Assists in researching queries raised by vendors and Technical Services teams during the course of the project.
- Provide feedback to Vendor Relations on external resource performance.
- Communicate proactively regarding current and projected workloads across team members in support of maximum capacity utilization.
- Assess options and make recommendations for process improvements that improve efficiency, quality and profitability.
- Provide direct constructive feedback in real time to other QA staff, Project Managers, Technical Services, and external resources.
- Work closely with all Production leads to ensure all challenges and risks are addressed and best practices are recommended.
- Performs other related duties, as assigned, for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective completion and shipment of projects.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
- Uses standard office equipment such as personal computer, scanner, copier, fax machine, telephone/headset.
- Twelve months per year standard work schedule as needed to successfully meet individual and department goals and objectives, and meet employee and client needs, including a reasonable amount of additional hours as necessary.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to provide guidance and feedback in a respectful manner.
- Strong organizational skills in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Ability to prioritize and coordinate competing work demands, and maintain composure under pressure.
- Fluent communication skills of written and verbal English.
- Ability to report work orally and in writing as required.
- Ability to understand, apply and use personal computers and software applications (e.g. Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe Acrobat, CAT Tools, Office 365/Skype, CRM/AURORA/other production software). Familiarity with publishing applications (e.g. Frame Maker, In Design, etc.).
- A team player who can collaborate effectively with a diverse group of individuals.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of company financials as well as other information.
- Ability to resolve customer service and production issues in a professional and efficient manner.
- Quality focus and detail oriented.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards
- Works in standard office building environments.
See the Summary of Physical, Sensory and Environmental Requirements Needed to Perform Essential Job Duties for this position.
Any combination of education and experience providing the required skills and knowledge for successful performance would be qualifying. Typical qualifications would be equivalent to:
- Four-year college degree or equivalent in Business, English, Foreign Language, Social or Applied Sciences, or other related field.
- One to three years of hands-on experience coordinating projects within the localization or translation industry.
- Demonstrated understanding of desktop publishing applications, online help systems, translation memory (TM) and localization tools (CAT).
- Demonstrated successful customer service/account management experience, generally a minimum of one year.
- Experience with automated QA tools preferred.
- Verbal and written fluency in at least one foreign language a plus.
Please apply via our applicant tracking system.