RWS inovia was recently featured in the South China Morning Post as a world leader of high quality translation, intellectual property (IP) and language support services throughout APAC (Asia-Pacific region). RWS inovia has over 120 staff members specializing in patent and IP-related translations with cost effective, local resources for patent translations, foreign filings and search services in the region.
Backed by a solid balance sheet, RWS Group, a world leading language services provider headquartered in the UK, has a clear strategy to expand its global presence amid a low-growth economy with Asia. We believe China is a key driver to this future growth.
„More companies of varying sizes in China are starting to innovate and are choosing not to be limited to manufacturing,“ CEO of RWS Group, Reinhard Ottway stated. „These emerging Chinese innovators are the target group for our international IP support services. We help them protect their IP and compete in the global market.“
With three offices in China, RWS is showing a solid presence in the region. Our expansion efforts are backed by the release of the Chinese-language interface of PatBase and a cooperation agreement with the Intellectual Property Publishing House, governed by China’s State Intellectual Property Office.
RWS works with many of the world’s largest patent filers and patent agent firms. „Our key differentiator is still first and foremost our focus on premium quality and excellent service.“ Ottway continued.
To read the full article, click here.
China propelled global patents to a new record of 2.9 million applications in 2015. They are the first office to file more than a million applications in a calendar year. This is an overall growth rate of 7.8% over 2014 and the sixth year in a row patent prosecution rose according to WIPO’s annual World Intellectual Property Indicators (WIPI) report.
Trademark applications rose by 15.3% to 6 million in 2015, as worldwide industrial design applications grew by 2.4% to 872,800.
The top patent filers by region:
- China – 1,101,864
- United States – 589,410
- Japan – 318,721
- Republic of Korea – 213,694
- European Patent Office (EPO) – 160,028
The top five offices accounted for 82% of global filings. U.S. applicants were responsible for the most abroad applications, marking a 6% increase over the previous year, followed by Japan and Germany respectively.
An estimated 10. million patents were in force around the world in 2015. A quarter of these were in the United States (24.9%), followed by 18.3% in Japan and 13.9% in China. Computer tech accompanied for 7.9% of the total patents and saw the highest percentage of published patent applications worldwide, followed by electrical machinery (7.3%) and digital communications (4.9%).
Click here to learn more and download the entire report. Also, follow us on Twitter @inoviaIP for patent and foreign filing related updates.
RWS Holdings, the world’s leading provider of IP services, commercial translations and linguistic validation, announced its final results for the year ending 30 September 2016.
Financial Highlights delivered record revenues and profits ahead of market expectations:
- Sales increased by 28% to £122m (2015: £95.2)
- Adjusted operating profit was up 40% to £32m (2015: £22.9m)
- Adjusted profit before tax rose by 35% to £30.6m (2015: £22.7m)
- Reported profit before tax was up 21% to £25.1m (2015: £20.7m)
Operational Highlights continued organic progress and investment in acquisition for future growth:
- Acquisition of CTi, the world’s leading translation company focusing exclusively on life sciences translation and linguistic validation:
- Excellent 11 month contribution from CTi, with sales of US$30.5m
- Integration of Group’s life science activities complete
- Good performance from core patent translation activities:
- Enhanced gross margins
- New client wins
- Excellent progress in China
- PatBase revenues advanced by 7%
- Currency tailwinds post EU referendum bringing useful gains
- IP support services accounted for 70%, and life sciences 20% of Group revenues
- Overall Group gross margin improved by 339bp
Current Trading and Outlook:
- Group performance in the first two months of the new financial year has been very strong, with underlying growth aided by favorable currency movements
- The Group remains focused on developing sales opportunities across the world from its expanded geographical presence, service range and technology offerings
- Net estimated Euro trading exposure hedged at an average rate of 1 Euro = 83p to 30 September 2016
Andrew Brode, Chairman of RWS, commented, „RWS has delivered exceptional results against a low-growth world economic environment and the first year of our ownership of CTi has fulfilled all of our expectations. The Board remains highly encouraged by the Group’s opportunities to continue to grow significantly and profitably across its now broader portfolio of market leading businesses, particularly as it looks to build on its position in life sciences in the USA.“
We are proud to be members of the RWS Group and look forward to continuing to serve your IP service needs in 2017. With any questions or to learn more about our service suite, click here. Please also follow us on Twitter and Linkedin for daily patent updates.