In response to the growth of IP in Africa and client requests, inovia is happy to announce today that Spoor & Fisher has joined our global agent network and will handle our PCT national stage entries into ARIPO. With the addition of this award-winning law firm, inovia is now able to handle PCT national stage entry into 43 countries and regions.
Some quick facts about ARIPO:
- ARIPO stands for African Regional Intellectual Property Organization.
- It was created by the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA) and the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) via the Lusaka Agreement on December 9, 1976.
- ARIPO’s current 16 member states are: Botswana, Gambia, Ghana, Kenya, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Sierra Leone, Somalia, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
- ARIPO is governed by the Harare Protocol for patents, utility models and industrial designs and the Banjul Protocol for trademarks.
- ARIPO may be designated both under the PCT or the Paris Convention.