Trados Studio 2022 Professional
Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently asked questions about Trados Studio 2022 Professional
What is Trados Studio 2022?
What’s new in Trados Studio 2022?
- Better-than-ever synchronization between the desktop application and our cloud platform, letting you work wherever you choose.
- New file types that help Studio cater to the widest variety of translation use cases, widening the scope of work you can accept.
- Hundreds of updates have been made with the feedback of all our users in mind, designed to help you work however you want.
How do I get Trados Studio 2022?
- Freelance translators: visit our online shop, add a ‘Trados Studio 2022’ package to your cart and proceed to payment. Or you can contact your Local Authorized Reseller.
- LSPs: contact your local RWS representative or Local Authorized Reseller.
- Corporations: contact your local RWS representative or Local Authorized Reseller.
Do I have to pay for the essential cloud capabilities available with Trados Studio 2022?
- Secure cloud backup of your work.
- Access to the online editor, letting you work from anywhere or easily collaborate with other translators.
- If you need to prepare or create projects yourself you can do so from anywhere, including via our mobile app.
- You can process projects in the cloud while working on another project in the desktop application.
What is the new Manager View (Beta)?
Can I purchase Trados Studio on a subscription?
Subscription or perpetual: which Trados Studio licence is right for you?
When purchasing an annual subscription for Trados Studio, the initial cost will be lower than the cost of a perpetual license. Access to the software is for the duration of your subscription and you will not own the software outright.
During your subscription, you will receive free updates and service releases. You'll also receive upgrades to future editions of Trados Studio, ensuring you continue to benefit from the new functionality and enhancements when released.
With a Trados Studio Professional subscription, you will have the flexibility to easily add extra licenses for new team members and also cancel at the end of your contract.
When purchasing a perpetual license for Trados Studio 2022, the initial cost will be higher than an annual subscription. However, the license does not expire and you own the software outright, meaning you may use it for many years to come.
You will receive updates and service releases for Trados Studio 2022 for as long as RWS supports the version. Should you wish to upgrade to future editions of Studio, you'll will be able to do so for a fee.
The choice is yours!
For organizations whose translation team needs to scale rapidly or have varying workloads, purchasing Trados Studio 2022 licenses on an annual subscription may be the best option. Other companies who may prefer to fix their costs at the outset may prefer to opt for perpetual licenses.
If you’re unsure which is the best way to purchase Trados Studio for your organization, please get in touch.
Can I upgrade to Studio 2022 from older versions of the software?
I have a copy of Studio 2017 and want to upgrade to the latest version. When will the upgrade pricing end?
Will older versions of Trados Studio still be supported by RWS?
When I upgrade, can I have Trados Studio 2022 installed along with older versions of the software?
How do I upgrade to Trados Studio 2022?
- Go on to your Trados Studio application.
- Click on Help > Product Activation > Deactivate.
- Login to your RWS Account and go to the Licenses section.
- On the left-hand side, you should see "Upgrades" available, marked with a yellow arrow icon. Click on the icon and you will be able to see the Upgrades page.
- Click on the Upgrade button to process the license upgrade. If you have several licenses, please bear in mind that you need to choose the number of user licenses that you wish to upgrade.
- A new licensing code will be generated.
Is Trados Studio 2022 compatible with previous versions?
Can you provide a summary of compatibility details for Trados Studio 2022?
Trados Studio 2022 no longer offers out-of-the-box support for legacy Trados file types including; ITD, TTX and Bilingual Workbench. If you are still working with these file types, please install the ‘Trados Compatibility and Migration Power Pack’ app from the RWS AppStore. The app is installed as an add-on and will enable you to open and work with projects that include such files. RWS recommends that you consider converting legacy file types to the latest .SDLXLIFF format.
|Studio 2017/2019/2021Translation Memory (*.sdltm)||Studio 2017/2019/2021 (*.sdlxliff)||Legacy TMs (SDLX and Trados 2007)|
|Open||Yes||Yes||Upgrade through wizard or read through Appstore plugins|
|Save/Export||Yes||Yes||Export through TMX, TM Management app, and various other apps available through the AppStore|
|Create||Yes||Yes||Only through the Legacy Applications|
Is Trados Studio 2022 compatible with other products in the Trados product portfolio?
- RWS Language Cloud and Trados cloud subscriptions, including Trados Team and Trados Enterprise.
- Trados GroupShare 2020 and Trados GroupShare 2017. We recommend using the latest released version of GroupShare 2020. For details on latest releases, see our knowledge base for GroupShare 2020.
- Passolo 2022 and Passolo 2018. We recommend using the latest released version of Passolo 2022. For details on latest releases, see our knowledge base for Passolo 2022.
- Trados Business Manager Essential, Trados Business Manager Team and Trados Business Manager Enterprise.