RWS and COVID-19 update
The global scientific community is leaving no stone unturned in its efforts to find new treatments and ultimately a vaccine for COVID-19. Although trials take time, authorities are doing all they can to expedite the process to ensure any new drug is safe and effective.
RWS is doing all it can to support global efforts to fight COVID-19, including:
- Mobilizing our global research community to identify and review relevant prior scientific research for use by pharmaceutical companies working on COVID-19 vaccines or treatments, on a pro-bono basis.
- Rapidly translating new training protocols to help speed vital medical device equipment set up in affected areas when technicians cannot travel.
- Safely expediting the translation of critical clinical studies to support the release of medicines that show promise in the fight against COVID-19.
- Facilitating the change from face-to-face information gathering to phone and online formats, which allows existing clinical trials to continue and new ones to be launched while maintaining social distancing.
- Donating to the new ‘Translators without Borders’ COVID-19 fund to support the translation of critical materials into under-represented languages, social media monitoring of misinformation, and the creation and maintenance of COVID-19-specific terminology.
Language and localization are a critical element in facilitating life-saving drugs and equipment being developed and used every single day of the year. The exponential spread of COVID-19 brings this into stark relief.