Today, the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) reported that international trademark applications filed under the Madrid system grew 4% in 2012, with 44,018 total applications filed. Germany was the largest user of the Madrid system with 6,545 applications filed, followed by the US (5,430) and France (4,100).
Good afternoon. Here are some of the IP stories we’ve gathered to take you into this beautiful fall weekend:
- inovia is #1 again! We’re excited to announce that we ranked number one in the world for the 2nd consecutive year in MIP’s annual ranking of the top PCT firms. For the 5th year, we are first in the United States. In total, inovia nationalized 1,800 PCTs in 2015, an increase of over 16% from last year. Download the complete ranking of top PCT filing firms here.
- A case of copyright infringement? Twitter suspended many popular social media accounts including Deadspin and SBNationGIF on Monday. These handles had previously posted GIF animations and Vines of key plays in NFL and college football games. Read more.
- WIPO is holding a seminar on the Madrid System for those wanting to improve practical skills in filing applications and managing registrations (November 26th and 27th). Interested? Sign up here.
- This year, the EPO and SIPO celebrate 30 years of bilateral cooperation, a partnership that has impacted intellectual property on a global scale.
That’s all for this week. Please follow us on Twitter @inoviaIP and have a great weekend!
We hope everyone had a relaxing Memorial Day last week. I’ve been busy gathering the latest headlines in IP news, please read below for all updates:
- The Beastie Boys have been busy fighting against Monster Energy Drink in a New York courthouse over copyright infringement and song licensing.
- The Madrid Yearly Review was published by WIPO, showing the membership of the Madrid System growing to a total of 92 jurisdictions. Read the entire report here.
- This week in innovation, Google has done it again! Their new car can detect objects up to 200 yards away and doesn’t have a steering wheel, gas pedals, or brakes.
- You only have 10 days left to vote for your favorite inventor to take the popular prize at the European Inventor Awards!
That’s all for this week! Please check back next Friday for more updates and follow us on Twitter @inoviaIP!