Climate change is posing a threat like never before.
RWS and its employees are concerned about the environment and we are committed to helping the world transition to net zero. In 2021, we became a signatory to the Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures (TCFD) and have started working towards aligning ourselves and adopting the TCFD ahead of it becoming mandatory.
We are committed to:
- The continual improvement of our environmental management systems globally
- Complying with the spirit as well as the letter of all applicable environmental legislation, approved codes of practice and any other requirements not codified by law to which we subscribe
- Co-operating fully and maintain open relationships with all regulatory authorities
- Complying with the environmental requirements of the company’s clients
Energy and greenhouse gas report
Due to the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic and reduced travel and office occupation, it has been difficult to set accurate targets, so we have continued to use baseline data from FY19. On 9 November 2020, RWS Holdings plc acquired SDL plc adding 60 offices and over 4,300 employees. As a result of this, the carbon emissions for RWS for FY21 are considerably higher than those of FY20.
To date we have been targeting reductions year-on-year, for the following:
- Natural resources and consumables
- Carbon footprint
- Electricity kWh/measured by employee and turnover
- Commercial waste
- Landfill waste/measured by employee and turnover
- Waste/measured by employee and turnover
We also strive to have no environmental incidents.
Energy is a key driver of carbon emissions across the Group and we are committed to reducing our energy consumption across our operations.
We recognise that what is good for the environment is also good for business. Energy savings, for example, reduce our emissions output while cutting costs.
Green logistics programme
Small steps lead to big results in Brno
Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures
RWS Climate Change Statement
At RWS, we believe the science is clear – anthropogenic climate change is real and the effects are already being seen and felt globally. As an international organization, we acknowledge our responsibility for our part in this crisis and we welcome our role as a world leader in climate risk mitigation.
Globally, we have set the following goals:
- Reduce carbon emissions 55% by 2030, using FY22 as a baseline
- Develop a science-based target, aligned with the Science Based Target initiative (SBTi) criteria and to submit the plan to the SBTi for validation
- Achieve Environmental Management System compliance at 30% of the business by headcount
- Become an industry leader in compliance with regulatory structures including TCFD, SASB and others
- Increase our commitment to nature-based solutions to reduce our carbon footprint and support global biodiversity
- Expand integration and understanding of diversity, equality and inclusion (DEI) principles to ensure a sustainable and equitable future that leaves no one behind
RWS is a world-leading provider of technology-enabled language, content management and intellectual property services, and our people are key to our success. Together, we leverage our knowledge and expertise to implement creative, effective, workable solutions.