Climate change is expected to worsen the frequency, intensity and impacts of extreme weather events. Without action we will see detrimental changes to the world we live in. RWS and its colleagues are committed to helping prevent the impact of global climate change by transitioning to carbon net zero.
In 2022, we signed up to the United Nation’s Race to Zero and officially committed to set science-based targets to be carbon net zero through the Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi).
We measure and monitor our principal environmental impacts and have set objectives and targets for their reduction.
We are committed to:
- The continual improvement of our environmental management systems globally
- Complying with the spirit as well as the letter of all applicable environmental legislation, approved codes of practice and any other requirements not codified by law to which we subscribe
- Co-operating fully and maintaining positive relationships with all regulatory authorities
- Complying with the environmental requirements of the company’s clients
Energy and greenhouse gas report
As part of the Streamlined Energy and Carbon Reporting (SECR) requirement, RWS is required to report its energy and Greenhouse Gas (GHG) emissions within its Directors’ Report. The Group’s GHG emissions were prepared in accordance with the UK Government’s SECR guidance. The analysis conforms with the GHG Protocol Corporate Standard (2004) and relates to the emissions of all locations within the Group.
The results of the analysis will be used to provide us with transparency on our emissions, enable us to setup and implement speciﬁc carbon reduction measures and the foundation to track our progress in reducing carbon emissions, as well as to evaluate the eﬀectiveness of our reduction measures. In FY22, RWS oﬀset all non-avoidable emissions with high-quality carbon oﬀsetting projects.
To date we have been targeting reductions year-on-year, for the following:
- Natural resources and consumables
- Carbon footprint
- Electricity kWh/measured by employee and turnover
- Commercial waste
- Landfill waste/measured by employee and turnover
- Waste/measured by employee and turnover
We also strive to have no environmental incidents.
Energy is a key driver of carbon emissions across the Group and we are committed to reducing our energy consumption across our operations.
We recognise the importance of investing in efficient offices and renewable energy. In FY22, the group took several measures to reduce energy use and emissions.
These included (not an exhaustive list):
- Utilizing renewable energy at six of our offices
- Replacing lighting with energy efficient LED in may of our offices
- Trialling solar panels in our India office
- Setting timers relative to weather and opening hours of our offices
Green logistics programme
Small steps lead to big results in Brno
Taskforce on Climate-related Financial Disclosure (TCFD)
Greenhouse gas concentrations are at their highest in two million years and emissions are continuing to rise. We all need to work together in helping the world transition to net zero and RWS is committed to helping achieve this. In 2021 we became a signatory to the Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures and for the first time disclosed against the framework, although voluntary, and have continued to work towards aligning ourselves and adopting the TCFD ahead of it becoming mandatory in April 2022.
Following our decision last year to start reporting in line with TCFD early, these disclosures include our actions taken to date to align our climate risk disclosures with the TCFD recommendations. Doing so will enable our stakeholders to understand the ways in which climate change is affecting our business now, and in the future, as well as the steps that we are taking.
RWS Climate Change Statement
At RWS, we believe the science is clear – anthropogenic climate change is real and the effects are already being seen and felt globally. As an international organization, we acknowledge our responsibility for our part in this crisis and we welcome our role as a world leader in climate risk mitigation.
Globally, we have set the following goals:
- Reduce carbon emissions 55% by 2030, using FY22 as a baseline
- Develop a science-based target, aligned with the Science Based Target initiative (SBTi) criteria and to submit the plan to the SBTi for validation
- Achieve Environmental Management System compliance of 100% by 2030
- Become an industry leader in compliance with regulatory structures including TCFD, SASB and others
- Increase our commitment to nature-based solutions to reduce our carbon footprint and support global biodiversity
- Expand integration and understanding of diversity, equity and inclusion – should read diversity, equity and inclusion
RWS is a world-leading provider of technology-enabled language, content management and intellectual property services, and our people are key to our success. Together, we leverage our knowledge and expertise to implement creative, effective, workable solutions.