A design system is a comprehensive framework encompassing the principles, guidelines, components, and tools that drive the design and development of digital products. It not only addresses the visual and interactive elements but also the underlying philosophy, rationale, and methodologies that form a brand's design language.
- Principles: core values and beliefs that guide the design decisions, ensuring alignment with the brand's identity and objectives
- Guidelines: detailed documentation that covers best practices, design rationale, and instructions on using components and patterns
- Design tokens: atomic design values such as colours, typography, spacing, and more
- UI components: reusable visual and interactive elements like buttons, forms, and modals, often found in pattern libraries
- Tooling and utilities: tools, code snippets, and resources that assist designers and developers in implementing the design consistently