iiRDS (Intelligent Information Request and Delivery Standard) is a protocol that defines a standard for the consistent delivery and request of intelligent information, particularly focusing on technical documentation. It plays a pivotal role in the sharing, management, and utilization of information across varied systems, platforms, and applications, notably in technology-intensive environments like the Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT). DITA, XML and iiRDS make a perfect match as DITA provides a structured XML format for creating, managing, and delivering information in a modular manner, while iiRDS establishes the protocol for intelligent information delivery, ensuring precise, context-relevant information is efficiently exchanged and utilized across diverse platforms.
Example use cases
- Smart assistance: providing technicians and end-users with precise, context-based information through mobile devices or smart glasses during maintenance or repair tasks
- Automated processes: enabling automated systems and machinery to request and receive vital operational or troubleshooting information without human intervention
- Content management: facilitating the organization, retrieval, and distribution of technical documentation and content across different platforms and devices
- User support and training: delivering adaptive learning materials and support documentation to users based on their role, expertise, and the specific challenges they are facing
- Supply chain management: ensuring that all entities within a supply chain can access consistent and standardized product information, facilitating smoother operations and compliance